Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Day 1


I'll admit it: The first day of class went a lot better than expected. What was expected: Internal crying about how smart everybody is, while wondering why I'm here. What really went down: Internal crying about how smart everybody is, while wondering why I'm here. The difference is that instead of wallowing in self pity (as anticipated), I feel even more determined to be part of this.

What has to be known about my insecurity is that I come with the most irrelevant background and that I have the least professional experience in any aspect of building apps.

Since only very few people know me here, I'll introduce myself the way I want -
I am Yiting (Yi in America, Funny name to Colin, Eating's homophone everywhere else) and I'm in the final stage to getting that "B.A. (Honours) in English Language". Any of my group mates out there - if you see this and you're starting to regret, I'm sorry, but you're stuck with me..... and it's too late.

I'm just kidding. Here's why you should continue working with me:
I come from a training ground that has made me a master of language. By that I mean of language in general and not just specifically English - I'm pretty good at the stylistics of language (how to be humorous, how to show sarcasm, how to persuade and the like). After you see through my humble brag, you'll then realize that I'm not actually the business person, but instead the designer of the team.

So here's why you should continue working with me, part 2:
I'm fluent in languages - but only certain human ones and zero computer ones. I know the best designer will go forth and master at the artificial languages, but for now I only have very limited HTML & CSS knowledge, and I've just tried to go through a 4 hour course on PHP on Codecademy. I'm hoping the lack of knowledge brings a new perspective; I find it makes it easier for me to role-play more effectively as a user. Meanwhile I'm hoping to slowly transit to be decently skilled in at least one artificial language.

So part 2's not exactly a reason so here's part 3:
I don't have impressive internships (or non impressive ones, for that matter) and I don't have certification for my capabilities, especially in the field of marketing and design. But I'm passionate about both fields and intend to very seriously pursue one/a combination of the two as a 9-5 after graduation, if life would have it. I did a brief stint in a local start-up in July and after having (and overly actively vocalized) opinions about their design and marketing, dabbled in both design and marketing. From a more objective perspective - I only started using Illustrator in July (at the same time of the internship but I! Committed! Myself! Fully! To! Both!) and with a portfolio of illustrations only, I got accepted into the class.

I like curating, I think colours have emotions, I like to think I know people (I did some sociology modules and like to yell "it's a social construct!" at people). I hate typos, I'm a grammar nazi, I get easily amused. I have a cup that flashes like a party strobe that I wish I brought for show-and-tell instead.

Abrupt ending: There's class tomorrow and I'll see you guys there soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment