Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Celebration!


I don't quite know how to feel now that the semester is over. I've taken so long to do my weekly reflections because I didn't want to log my feelings since discipline>feelings (Tan, 2015), but the other part is really just that the module makes me want to huddle in a corner and cry. Looking back, it feels nice, actually, to have been part of this wholesome experience.

If you asked me at any point of my life prior to May, I would never have seen myself in a computing module. Honestly, even if I were asked now, it still feels weird to think that I've been in a computing module. Clearly I don't fit in - it must be because I don't look intelligent enough; you can tell from the "ah"s when I explain that I'm actually a FASS student who's in the course as a designer/marketer.

The decision to apply for 3216 came with the decision to drop what I liked to do the most - learn (human) languages. I think I've said it only a million times - I'm sorry for the trait that comes from my mom's side of the family - but I spent the early half of the year having way too much fun in America, and the extension of the holiday made me miss out on a summer internship. With the possibility of an internship out of the way, I was going to devote my summer to sweep up on the French and revise my German, since I've already made plans to take German 2 for the semester. Then I'd spend my final semester hammering out a thesis, along with a life science mod on animal behaviour.

Clearly that never transpired. I ended up seeing Colin's Call for Registration on Facebook, and with some unprecedented and completely random interest in Illustrator, I wound up playing with Illustrator for most of my summer days. I finally applied for 3216 about a day or two prior to the deadline for registration. Then this came:

(Leong, 2015)

So I softly laughed/cried to myself and watched tv for the next few days. 

And then came the acceptance email.


And I ended up giving up German 2.

The end.

Of how I came to 3216. And then in the middle of 3216 there's a lot of "IT'S A TRAP" and crying, but that's besides the point. At the end of it now, this is what I have - a celebration of knowledge, as what one of my favourite professors loves to say.

I have:
- More than noted that when the module called for a designer, they meant a UI/UX designer mostly
- Realized that said designer roles come best with developer knowledge 
- Felt thankful that it was this way; I really enjoy doing UI/UX & HTML/CSS
- Thoroughly enjoyed weekly lectures and Saturday workshops
- Worked with 4 separate but equally as great teams 
- Worked with individuals/teams very different from myself and came out of it without any conflict
- Learnt to communicate in a team
- Realized that not all ideas can succeed; ideas are not about you but about your users
- Learnt that success is when you help others to achieve it too
- Gotten a lot of help from friends in the module - THANK YOU!
- Learnt that people tell you different things; but your path is your own
- Learnt that your feelings are shit 
- Realized that networking is a thing and a pretty fun thing at that
- Learnt a lot about myself
          More specifically:   - I learn pretty quickly
                                        - I always think I'm doing a bad job but it wasn't always the case
                                        - I can actually last till 3am in the morning on certain days
                                        - I actually really like UI/UX design
                                        - I enjoy talking to people!
- Gotten an internship!!!
- Made friends
- Gained interest in properly sitting down and learning a new (computer!) language
- Not regretted giving German 2 up for 3216 - who cares about the totally hot German dudes, right?

Frankly, I'm sad the module/semester is over. There's a lot more I can learn, there's a lot more people I can meet/get to know. Nevertheless, I'll be backtracking on my posts for the module to really consolidate my thoughts, then I'll continue to use this handle for relevant dialogic learning. Also my blog is really hard to read, so I'll magically apply my mixture of old+new HTML & CSS to make it user-friendly /magical sounds *tingtingtingting*/

No comments:

Post a Comment