Pages

Monday, August 31, 2015

Spotify



I have an on/off relationship with Spotify; I love it, but most of the times I'm too lazy to open the app, and I never found sufficient reason to pull it into the dock bar for years. I've only recently put it into the dock bar and I find the Spotify presentation interesting, because it presented a very different user perspective of the music streaming app. There were multiple instances regarding listening experience that were put forth as bad points and here are my thoughts on them:

First off, Spotify is said to feel like a radio, because of the many ads they insert for free users
As a free user, I continue using Spotify despite the cats playing ping pong (one of the newer, horrible ads they have started using), because I agree it's an incredibly clever tactic to convert free users to paying ones. Essentially, I'm too cheap to pay for its services, so I really don't mind sitting through the ads; and pushing Premium ads into my face is a great call to action for that one day when I might actually change my mind. Also, the distinction between free and paid users have been around since I had started using Spotify, so I don't get particularly annoyed by the ads. On the contrary, I listen to music on Youtube as well because I like music videos, and Youtube today is plagued with ads too - yet I hate it, because there's no option to turn the ads off by paying them to shut it off, and they never had this ad feature in the past. Consumers hate change, Youtube. There's a very important difference between dangling a carrot in front of a user and forcing unwanted things onto the user.

I'm not sure if it's because of the platform used by the presenters, but it was also noted that Spotify doesn't have great playlists, with playlists mostly being random listings of songs. 
I couldn't disagree more; you can build your own playlists on Spotify, you can discover playlists of your friends, there are playlists categorized by genres and moods, there's a Discover Weekly playlist that gets updated every Monday to bring you songs related to what you've been listening to lately, and Spotify's Radio is more or less a playlist based on which genre you tune in to. I'm not going to go linguistically maniacal and critically analyse "playlists being random listings of songs", but playlists can be random listings of songs. The listings of songs by popularity (Top 50 and whatnot) certainly not random, but these are charts, not true playlists. Spotify is a beautiful place when you're on the hunt for new tunes or an entire playlist, and there's just so many ways you can go about that.

Something about UI that the Telegram guys felt very strongly about was the calling out of the dark theme as not something everyone likes
Unlike them, I'm a very lay user of the app, but I'm still on their side that this is indeed highly subjective. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me what colours the app comes in - I use it for music on playlists, so most of the time the app runs in the background. Even when I do have to use it, I don't think that the theme is particularly irritating. It's actually pretty cool - black is a very sophisticated colour, plus it's very easy on the eyes. Now that I'm noticing: I love the minimalism of colours; it goes in line with the logo and it's a great brand identity and the simplicity is completely intuitive. 

With that said, the Spotify group actually pointed that out because Spotify hasn't been the most responsive to its users' feedback. This is clearly a problem, because your users are what support your business. Yet the conundrum is so: should you prioritize your brand identity, or should you prioritize your users? Just last year, Spotify terminated its App Finder function, killing many cool 3rd party apps - along with my favourite Lazify. It was incredibly heartbreaking, but I agree that the direction of the brand should be based on the company's identity and interests first. While they should definitely still consider the feedback of users, the executive decision lies ultimately with what you want your brand to be. 

Another problem that may arise from giving in to users' feedback is that requests may snowball - if you relent to the users' requests of having a light background, there are going to be even more preferences and requests; it's impossible to cater to everyone's needs. Yet another point we should probably also think about is whether or not a change is relevant for the app - personally I still don't think that the theme is an issue on an app you mostly run on the background, even though just by having another option of a light background is easy as pie and doesn't affect any of its features.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Yi Ting!

    I'm not a user of Spotify myself, but some of my friends send me links of Spotify albums. :)

    I'd have to agree that the dark theme is cool, and I know I'm biased as black is my favourite colour. Even if a lot of people say black is gloomy, you reminded me that users use Spotify to listen to the music and do perhaps leave it running in the background. Thus, the theme of Spotify shouldn't really be that of a major issue.

    Through your post, I realize that we shouldn't be generalizing the users as us, CS3216 students who are here to criticize the app. A lot of people out there do not really care about these fine, little details and would be happy enough if the app does the basic functions properly - search songs, create our own playlists - despite the fact that there are irritating ads popping up frequently and it uses a dark theme. I believe Spotify would have, at some point, gave enough thought to their product design decision.

    A little suggestion to your post, perhaps you could put in some pictures, e.g. screenshots to add some spice to it. :)

    All in all, interesting point of view you have up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Yi Ting,

    Another suggestion to add on to what Sharon has mentioned: please increase the font size. You have some great content here that might get missed out because of the small font :)

    Your comparison with YouTube ads, and why having ads on YouTube is more annoying than on Spotify, makes sense. YouTube didn't have a lot of ads in the past, and the increase is sure to irritate followers. On the other hand Spotify has been having ads from the time it gained popularity, so it is far more acceptable, since it wasn't thrust into the user's face all of a sudden. It's similar for features which are removed from an app. Offering users a feature, and then removing it completely leaves users dissatisfied. Hence when promising a feature, it is important to ensure it's sustainability. While such actions may not affect the customer base since they might be too heavily invested in your app to move to an alternative, but it will definitely make them unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yi Ting,

    I've used Spotify before, but got too annoyed by the inability to skip songs. When trying to discover new music, I was frequently met with a prompt telling me that I can't skip anymore songs. What a way to discover music. But anyway, I shouldn't be complaining, it's free.

    I agree that they Spotify allows you to discover new music through the many playlists they provide. Other than the fact that I couldn't skip songs on demand, I found lots of new music through Spotify. Nowadays, I typically discover new music through Hype Machine and YouTube. But for people who want to discover music with little effort, Spotify still wins; just open the app and select radio. In that sense, if Spotify can continue to provide a large collection of music, I'm sure many people are willing to pay to discover new music.

    I also agree with your point about the problems of giving in to users' requests. It really is impossible to cater to everyone's needs. I think it's especially important when it comes to branding. The whole look and feel of a company's product should be uniform and recognisable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Discover weekly is something new, haven't come across it in the app =/ but from what I read of it, it sounds like a step in the right direction. What I meant was the playlist by moods or activities don't seem very helpful (to me at least) because they don't really contain songs that fit the user's music tastes.

    True that Spotify runs in the background most of the time and perhaps the theme doesn't matter that much. But sometimes the small things matter and they can annoy user a lot - enough for them to switch to competitor apps if they happen to have a better theme. There are actually quite a number of complains in the forum regarding the dark theme. (Though I'm personally fine with the theme, the complain was one of my group member's =P).
    Although Spotify's main business is serving Music, unhappiness with the UI is sufficient to drive some of their users away: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/New-Spotify-UI-is-terrible/td-p/750545

    That being said, you are right that it's impossible for Spotify to please every one. It cannot possibly accede to every request and might have to prioritise based on how it wants to market itself and the main group of users they are trying to appeal to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! Spotify Promotion Packages

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice post, i certainly love this website, keep on it visit the site

    ReplyDelete