Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2015

La fin de la début


There goes the completion of the first and second assignments! Lil Poo is mad ecstatic. For those not in the know - Lil Poo is our little mascot for our first assignment. He's a cute chap, so if you want to see more of him - contact the team and we'll let you in onto our app (please come join us, we are cool I promise)!

So as the title says - albeit in French because show off while I can, right - it's the end of the beginning. As we move onto our 3rd assignment, I just want to consolidate some thoughts and lessons from the former 2.

1. Teamwork is the key of all
Like Wenxiang said in the Zopim session - he pushed on through all the challenges because of his wonderful team. I'm happy to say that I've gotten great teammates for both assignments! My teammates are all very nice lil people and are all chill as hell.

Assignment 2 was one of the smoothest sailing project groups I've ever had after 3 years in the uni. Assignment 1 started out rough because we were all over the place, but I'm glad we worked the communication thing out and after a week of meetings, discussions and all-day commitment, we worked through all the disagreements very calmly and we've created a product all of us are pretty proud of.

2. When you're not proud of your product, nobody else will be
Let me preface this by saying sorry to my team members, haha. I actually had no intentions to download Telegram because I really don't need yet another communication app. I downloaded it rather reluctantly for the presentation, but I now use it to send lots of rubbish to my friends, migrating some chats from Whatsapp to Telegram. I had thought that I would be deleting it right after the presentation, but as it turns out there are great features that I found out while preparing for the presentation. Even while Telegram isn't our product per se, we loved it and I think that was very obvious in our presentation.

For Taaag, I became very unsure of it as we developed it. Some questions crossed my mind multiple times - Would I use it? Would I recommend my friends to use it? Would I come back to it? As it seems, nobody believes much in an entertainment app in the class. I want to now grab your shoulders and shake you violently - just like how there would be people who tune in to the Kardashians', there would be users for your entertainment app - you just need to know how to market it correctly to the correct target group.

Eventually, I sent some friends some invites and my perspectives changed. I love it - after I got my friends on board, I found tags on my wall that I never thought would appear. A friend actually thought through everything very seriously, and another tagged very random shit like "poop" and "giraffe" - only that they aren't that random, because they are inside jokes. The very nature of our friendships shows from the tags, and if you don't like anything you can just trash 'em. I haven't been in close contact with my friends because we're all in different countries, and tagging me with those tags would have been crazy random elsewhere. I'm very fond of Taaag now - and I think my friends can tell from how I go around explaining and (humble)bragging about the app to them.

"Taaag is great, guys! Come join me or this friendship is over"

Greetings to Assignment 3, I slept in and napped for close to the entirety of Saturday (I had to - felt like I was internally rotting) and I'm ready! I'm hoping I'll get more takeaways from the technical side - for the first 2 assignments my brain was ???????ing whenever the developers talked programming haha oops

No comments:

Post a Comment